Why I Love My Dough Scraper

I can’t stress enough how invaluable my dough scraper has become in my baking routine. It’s not just great for cutting and portioning; it helps with folding and shaping the dough, especially when I’m working with high-hydration batters. Having that tool allows for better handling, which is crucial when you want to maintain the integrity of those long fermentation times we all cherish.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​‍‌‍​‌‌‍‍⁠‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠‌‌⁠⁠‌⁠‌​‌‍⁠⁠‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌‌‍​⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍⁠‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠‌⁠​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌​​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌​‌​‌‌‍‍‌⁠​⁠‌⁠‌⁠‌​‌⁠‌‍‍​​⁠‌​‌‌‌⁠‌‍⁠⁠‌​​‍‌​⁠‍‌⁠‌‌‌​‍‌‌​⁠‍‌⁠​​‌‍‍‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

I totally get that! My dough scraper has become my sous-chef; it makes handling sticky dough so much easier, especially for those wet ciabatta batters. Just a little tip: try warming it slightly before use — it’ll glide through that dough like a hot knife through butter.

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​‍‌‍​‌‌‍‍⁠‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​​​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍⁠‌‌​⁠‌‌​‌‌‌​‍‌‌‌​‌​⁠​​‌⁠‌‌‌‍‌⁠​⁠​⁠‌‌​‍‌​‍‍‌​‌‍​⁠‌​‌⁠‍‌‌‍⁠​​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌

Using a dough scraper is a game changer for retaining dough’s structure! I like to lightly flour the scraper before working with really sticky batters; it helps prevent sticking. Ever tried using it for shaping baguettes?

‌⁠‍⁠​‍​‍‌⁠‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‍​‍‌‍​‌‌‍‍⁠‌‍‌‌‌⁠​‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍⁠​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌⁠​‍‌‍‌‌‌⁠​​‌‍⁠​‌⁠‍‌​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍‌‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​⁠‌​​⁠​​​⁠​​​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‌​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍​⁠​‍​⁠​​​⁠​‍​⁠‌‍​⁠​‌​⁠​​​⁠​​​⁠‌‍​‍​‍​‍⁠​​‍​‍‌‍‍​​‍​‍​⁠‍‍​‍​‍‌‌​⁠‌​‌​‌​‍‌‌​‌‌‌‌‌​‌⁠‌‌‌⁠‍‍​⁠‍​‌⁠‍‌‌‍​‍‌‌​‌‌‍‌‍‌⁠​‌‌​‍​‌‌‍‌​⁠‌‌​‍​‍‌⁠⁠‌